THE Ministry of Health and Child Care has ordered chief executive officers at Government hospitals and provincial medical directors to recruit nurses and replace those who were fired by VP Chiwenga.
The nurses were dismissed after they refused government’s call to go back to work even though after negotiations, a sum of over $17 million had been availed to them.
The ministry advised the hospitals to recruit a maximum of 30 nurses at central hospitals, 20 at provincial hospitals, 15 at district hospitals, five at rural hospitals and one or two at rural health centres and clinics.
The ministry yesterday gave hospitals the green light to recruit nurses with effect from yesterday.
“Reference is made to the press statement by the VP Chiwenga on April 17, 2018. You are requested to recruit nurses to cover the gaps created by the nurses who were summarily discharged.
“Please, ensure that your relevant teams are in place to facilitate the recruitment and assumption of duty with effect from April 18, 2018 by retired and unemployed nurses,” the ministry said in a statement.
The Health Services Board (HSB) also issued a statement yesterday urgently inviting applications from qualified unemployed registered general nurses, primary care nurses and retired nurses below the age of 70 to fill nursing posts in the health service.
“In the interim, all members who are on vacation leave, annual leave and nights off are instructed to report for duty with immediate effect.
“Interested applicants should submit their applications to their nearest central and provincial hospitals and the provincial medical directorate offices with immediate effect,” said the HSB in the statement.
However, in a statement yesterday the Zimbabwe Nurses’ Association (Zina) advised its members that the strike would continue despite the threats from the Government.